Monday 15 March 2010

Stopping





These songs remind me of an amazing holiday I had in Australia in November last year. It was a huge blessing to be able to really take time out, away from everything, experience new things and catch up with old friends. I learnt these songs and a whole new way of doing church at a friends church in Perth. Hadn't been a visitor at a church for quite a while and while I felt a little lost without any job to do, it was great to be reminded of the importance of just stopping, being still before God and just listening.
Another unusual experience for me was that I actually finished reading a number of books while I was in Oz. I'm pretty sure I've not actually achieved this since I've been home and then there is the ridiculousness that I had to travel round the other side of the world to read a book in its entirety, that needs to be considered. This hints at the crazy busy that is my life. I came back from Australia with every intention of getting better at stopping, at reading, at listening, but my resolve didn't last very long and my reading list is still as long as it ever was.
Perhaps I am looking for a purpose for this blog a little too hard, or perhaps the recent few days of enforced stopping due to illness has got to me but think I am going to use this blog partly to describe my renewed attempts to stop. I'm not one for resolutions but I am one for learning from my experiences so................

Am going to attempt to set 30 mins or so a side a week to read. Proper stopping, curling up in an arm chair, reading.

Am going to attempt to do a better job of giving time each day to read my bible, worship, listen. Not just telegraph prayers on the road to meetings!!

Will let you know how the attempts go.............

No comments:

Post a Comment